Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Namespaces
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <mrueckert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:10:07 +0200
On 2006-06-05 20:52:23 +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Monday 05 June 2006 19:14, Richard Bos wrote:
> >
> > Including ":"? I think it is still possible to change the namespace
> > seperator to something else than ":". This to prevent problems with
> > programs like rsync....
>
> I agree that we should try to avoid as many problems we can by choosing a
> neutral namespace separator for the project names. Alternatives to ":" could
> be the already mentioned "_" or "+" or possibly "." or "-". Looking at the
> current project names only "+" wouldn't need any changes to existing project
> names.
>
> So what do you like better (using four existing projects as examples and
> making character replacements where required):

we should define some rules that ban the seperator from package names
aswell. and that will be hard. in that regard ":" was good. as projects
barely use it in their names, unlike "_", "-" or "+". (the plus sign is
forbidden by the buildserivce atm anyway.)

i wonder if we just should force

ns/project/package

and stuff all projects without an explicit namespace into "unsorted" or
something like that. then we wouldnt need some special namespace marker

anyway i think if rsync fells over the 2nd ":" in the url it is
definitely a sign for a broken url parser in rsync.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
openSUSE is good for you