[opensuse-artwork] Bento-Theme default icon set
  • From: Robert Lihm <rlihm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:54:33 +0200
Hello Creatives!

I noticed that there was a voting for a default icon set for the new
openSUSE.org Theme (aka Bento-Theme).

So, to get a representative result, I would like to start a short discussion
about "Bento-Theme default icon set".

Right now, we already use the Silk Icons by Mark James [1] in the Build Service
[2] because it has a wide range of icons which fit our needs and it fits good
to Bento.
The Problem with this set is: all icons are only available as 16 x 16px.

I guess we have two option:

1. Tango Icons [3][4]
2. Oxygen icons [5]

I vote for Tango Icons.

Why do I vote for Tango:

1. The colours of Tango [6] fit to the colours of Bento [7] and they fit to the
already used Silk icon set.
2. Icons should support the user while he is scanning the content. If the icons
are to shiny they disturb more then they help. Oxygen is IMHO to shiny for the
Bento-Theme.
3. We have folks from Tango-Project in the company, so we can easily get new
icons in the right style

It's not a question of personal taste, it's a question of pragmatic design.

So, what do you vote for and why (please brief statements)?

Thank you!

Robert

[1] http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/
[3] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project
[4] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tango_icons
[5] http://www.oxygen-icons.org/
[6] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines#Color_Palette
[7] http://tinyurl.com/bento-colors

---

Robert Lihm, Webdesigner - openSUSE Boosters Team
Tel: +49-911-74053-0 - rlihm@xxxxxxx