Re: [zypp-devel] OSI: openSUSE Installer Presentation
  • From: Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:47:27 +0100
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
And then putting the multiple builds together in on .osi file, in order to
have it distribution independent? Sounds like a huge overhead, when it
comes to a download afterwards.

Yes, but our aim is not to solve the common Linux platform issue here.
The problem you describe is a specific case of the solution. If the
software is available as a lsb build, nothing prevents the OSI to ship a
repo for LSB which the handler would match in any LSB distro. But if
this is not the case, one has to ship the available builds (or even, the
supported ones, a vendor may want to support his software in one
platform only) and the handler has to complain if a build for that
target is not available.

Duncan

(note, as I was told, the build service will have some kind of lsb
target anytime in the future)