Re: [zypp-devel] OSI: openSUSE Installer Presentation
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:14:45 +0100
On Thursday 18 December 2008 16:58:49 Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
Frankly, I fail to see difference to the add-on product concept, which is
basically a repository with addiotional information.

Technically yes.

But technically everything is the same.
- Wav files are just compressed mp3s
- Alien movie is just Jaws on a Spaceship

Innovation is usually the small final step/small difference that makes
people use it in a different way.

I have never seen any webpage offering an addon that you can download
and then click from your desktop and get a YaST wizard to install it.
And that is why I find interesting from the concept, I think there is
value to exploit here.

You may be right that technically, using the addon concept + the missing
glue is a better technical solution than Raul's prototype. But the idea
remains the same. The thread should focuse on how to get there. Any
technical solution is valid.

Agreed.

Stano

- May be we only lack a small glue here to allow a one click install
from a downloaded file
- May be we only lack easy mime type info (to recognize an addon file in
the desktop)
- May be we lack marketing on how to create an addon for people wanting
just to distribute a set of interdependent packages
- May be it is possible and I just haven't seen it.

Duncan