Re: [zypp-devel] OSI: openSUSE Installer Presentation
  • From: "Benji Weber" <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:14:25 +0000
2008/12/18 Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 12/18/2008 at 5:10 PM, "Benji Weber" <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/12/18 Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>:
Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
Frankly, I fail to see difference to the add-on product concept, which is
basically a repository with addiotional information.

Technically yes.

But technically everything is the same.
- Wav files are just compressed mp3s
- Alien movie is just Jaws on a Spaceship

Innovation is usually the small final step/small difference that makes
people use it in a different way.

I'm also not sure that add on products would currently allow us to
create distribution independent bundles, which is something that would
be nice.

That would basically require building against an LSB base project. I think
that's the only way this CAN be achieved.
But then the /sbin/yast2 part of the suggested OSI is not suitable. Latest at
this stage you end up not being able to use any package manager (well,
wrong. There is PackageKit).

I was more thinking of how OCI allows different instructions for
different distributions in the same file. Each distribution follows
its own instructions.

--
Benjamin Weber