Re: [zypp-devel] OSI: openSUSE Installer Presentation
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:30:28 +0100
On 12/18/2008 at 5:10 PM, "Benji Weber" <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/12/18 Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>:
Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
Frankly, I fail to see difference to the add-on product concept, which is
basically a repository with addiotional information.

Technically yes.

But technically everything is the same.
- Wav files are just compressed mp3s
- Alien movie is just Jaws on a Spaceship

Innovation is usually the small final step/small difference that makes
people use it in a different way.

I'm also not sure that add on products would currently allow us to
create distribution independent bundles, which is something that would
be nice.

That would basically require building against an LSB base project. I think
that's the only way this CAN be achieved.
But then the /sbin/yast2 part of the suggested OSI is not suitable. Latest at
this stage you end up not being able to use any package manager (well,
wrong. There is PackageKit).

Or you get to the 'traditional' setups known from commercial game publishers.
After all those work as well. Downside: almost everything is statically
linked or they bring it themself in the lib dir of the application.

and there goes the nice concept of shared libraries and being able to fix
security iessues at a single spot... urghs.

Dominique