Re: [zypp-devel] Automatic removal of orphan depencencies
  • From: Jan Kupec <jkupec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:04:17 +0100

Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2008/12/16 Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>:
On Tuesday 16 December 2008 13:12:36 Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2008/12/16 Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 08:52:49PM +0100, Paolo Tuninetto wrote:
I try to explain...
IMHO one of the most annoying missing feature in the openSUSE package
management (afaik, YaST and zypper) is that once a user installs a
package (i.e. in order to test it), the package management
automagically checks for missing dependencies and find all libraries
that are required but not yet installed and install them. This is
cool, The missing feature is that when the user uninstalls the package
all the installed dependencies are left there... there is no help in
finding where are such orphan packages.
First of all... is it true? Is there no way to "cleanup" such
dependencies? Something that is doing the work "apt-get autoremove" is
doing in Ubuntu Systems.
Actually I'm working on something like that, but it didn't make
it into 11.1.

The idea is to also remove all packages that could have been pulled
in by the package in question and couldn't get pulled in by the
packages that stay installed.

Note though, that you should carefully check the result of this
operation so that packages you still need don't get deinstalled.
Thus, it's more an YaST thing, I don't know if it can be handled
in zypper.
Aptitude behavior is explained at
http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch02s02s07.htm
l. It seems sane to me.
Is not perfect, perhaps something that was "automatically installed"
now is something that you want to mantain. But since you can change
the state of any package between automatically and manually installed
you can always fix it.
But I think right now apt-get, aptitude and deborphan mantain their
own, different, database of automatically/manually installed packages
(I think I saw a tool to sync them)... so I would argue that this info
should be stored at RPM level and not at ZYpp level.
RPM does not have solver, so it would just provide a storage for layer above.

A *common* storage for a layer above with multiple known
implementations that can be used at the same time (I expect some
people still mixing Smart and ZYpp usage).
What I would hate is Smart, Yum and ZYpp having each one an own copy
of the same (but unsynced) data like in the apt-get/aptitude case.

Well yes. This is an issue. Current approach in libzypp is to treat
whatever was installed by non-zypp tools as installed/requested by user,
not solver.

It would indeed be nice to standardize this logging across different
package managers. It would mean another change of the history log in
libzypp, but i guess we (and the current users of that log) can live
with it.

don't really mind how this is archieved, a separate but common
database used by all solvers is also ok to me.

Since Michael Schroeder said "I won't store something like this in the
solver, it's up to the library
user (i.e. libzypp) to feed the solver with information."

So far, so good.

it could
even happen that someone creates a new GUI for ZYpp... and so even
between different ZYpp interfaces there could be different, redundant,
databases of automatically/manually installed packages.

Why do you think? No, this won't happen. Zypp-based tools will always
have the same info.

- --
cheers,
jano

Ján Kupec
YaST team
Key ID: 637EE901
Fingerprint: 93B9 C79B 2D20 51C3 800B E09B 8048 46A6 637E E901
Server: irc.freenode.net
Nick: jniq
Channels: #zypp #yast #suse #susecz