Re: [zypp-devel] Automatic removal of orphan depencencies
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:50:42 +0100
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 08:52:49PM +0100, Paolo Tuninetto wrote:
I try to explain...
IMHO one of the most annoying missing feature in the openSUSE package
management (afaik, YaST and zypper) is that once a user installs a
package (i.e. in order to test it), the package management
automagically checks for missing dependencies and find all libraries
that are required but not yet installed and install them. This is
cool, The missing feature is that when the user uninstalls the package
all the installed dependencies are left there... there is no help in
finding where are such orphan packages.
First of all... is it true? Is there no way to "cleanup" such
dependencies? Something that is doing the work "apt-get autoremove" is
doing in Ubuntu Systems.

Actually I'm working on something like that, but it didn't make
it into 11.1.

The idea is to also remove all packages that could have been pulled
in by the package in question and couldn't get pulled in by the
packages that stay installed.

Note though, that you should carefully check the result of this
operation so that packages you still need don't get deinstalled.
Thus, it's more an YaST thing, I don't know if it can be handled
in zypper.

Cheers,
Michael.

--