Re: [yast-devel] Re: Partitioner: changing the default tab
On 2020-01-28 11:53, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 1/24/20 10:57 AM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
First of all, I'm moving this discussion to the yast-devel mailing list.
This is not internal team stuff.

On 1/23/20 3:36 PM, David Díaz wrote:
Hi folks!

As part of my current PBI[1], I must raise a discussion about the
default behavior of pages with tabs in the Partitioner :)

The question is simple, should we really display the "Overview" tab by
default? During the planning, it seems to some of us that it is useless
most of the time. Taking a disk with three partitions as an example, we
think it could be more practical to directly land in the "Partitions" tab.

(Re-sending what I wrote elsewhere)

I'm still using 15.1 so comments are about that state. My laptop
contains two disks by default, I use LVM, no btrfs.

- YaST Disk starts at "Available storage on *" and I never found it any
useful as it contains everything mixed together

BTW, we improved a bit that view in the latest sprint (still not visible
in Tumbleweed) so all devices can be managed directly from there thanks
to the contextual buttons.
See https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/pull/1024

- Hard Disks does not list hard disks, but Disks and Partitions, again,
not very useful, but better
- A particular disk, when selected, lands at Overview and again, I never
found it any useful as I'm not interested in any of the info there

I'd probably really expect

- To see only disks, when I click on Hard Disks
- To go directly to partitions when selecting a disk

Always? Also for hard disks that are formatted directly (without
partition table) or fully empty?

Same question applies to software RAIDs, that traditionally were used as
"virtual partitions" (i.e. formatted directly) but since storage-ng can
also be partitioned (so they are seen more like "virtual disks" now).
Would you also expect to land in "partitions" for them? In that regard,
I couldn't say which one of the use-cases (formatting them or
partitioning) is more common or more useful .

And same question applies to Bcache devices, that (like disks and
RAIDs), can also be formatted/mounted directly or partitioned. Would
"partitions" also be your expected tab there?

- To see Volumes when selecting a LV instead of seeing overview

Obviously all this comes from use-cases. You have a different use-case
when installing a machine and different use case when you want to tune
your partitioning or get more info about disks/partitions on your
running system.

Of course, there are more ideas that I'd write here just after seeing
the partitioner after a few weeks without using it but this is
already enough.

Yes, the whole think needs to be redesigned from the ground. But we
still lack that new "vision" that really rings the bell about how things
should be.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa