Re: [yast-devel] Build Times Strikes Back
On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:39:56AM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:

Maybe some workers specific? I check more places where it builds and in
factory it took 2261 seconds[1]. Maybe disk seeking? or less powerfull cpu?
In this case it is j4, so still not two times slower then your j8. I found
that peek memory usage is 2708 Mbyte ( visible in [1] ), so maybe just adding
constrain file that require at least 4GiB of RAM can help to prevent swaping
and also helps with caching of disk content?

I discussed that today with a build service expert.

- The intention of constraints are hard requirement: Without them
the build would fail.

- They can backfire: Waiting for a powerful machine could take
longer than the build on a less powerful but available machine
would have taken.

Not so likely on Intel but could happen on ARM.

- Unfortunately it is not possible to specify a minimal memory
size based on the number of cores.

- That some people want cetain packages to build fast may collide
with expectations of other people and may decrease the overall
build time for the project or other projects.

ciao Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxxx>

SUSE Linux GmbH
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)