Re: [yast-devel] Build Times Strikes Back
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 05:02:43PM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:

Hi.

today when I am waiting for OBS to build new ci container for testing new
rubocop I check how situation changes after our last effort to reduce build
time of yast stack.

What actually caused a rebuild of libstorage-ng? libstorage-ng
does not depend on rubocop.

To compare, old libstorage need in total 549 seconds. So there is really slow
down in build time.
Question is how to speed up building process? Any ideas? I think 20 minutes
for the initial building stone of all yast modules is too much.

The build times look high to me. On my machine 'osc build' takes
less than 500s (uses make -j8).

- create libstorage-ng-bootstrap that will be used for building
yast2-storage-ng. That bootstrap will skip tests and pythong bindings and
maybe even compile with less aggresive g++ options, which should help a lot.
And of course then proper package is build that will have all this.

Both the Pyhton and Ruby bindings could be build in separate
packages. But that would (likely) have to downside that the
bindings cannot be build in parallel with the library.

- build python and ruby bindings in parallel. Is it doable? Or ideally do it
in parallel to other compilation tasks. ( not sure if it does not hit us back
with disk seeking ). Here non-recursive feature of autotools can help[7].

That should work. I have a hackish bash script that does so (even
in parallel to the rest) and uses about 6m.

ciao Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxxx>

SUSE Linux GmbH
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)