Re: [yast-devel] Assistance with logging and errors in yast-auth-server
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:02:27 +0100
V Wed, 27 Mar 2019 10:04:01 +1000
William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> napsáno:

On 25 Mar 2019, at 16:52, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there something I’m missing in YaST to show ruby exceptions or errors?

Well, your problem is too generic exception catcher at
https://github.com/Firstyear/yast-auth-server/blob/2019-03-19-update-ds-create/src/lib/authserver/ui/new_dir_inst.rb#L131
It catches all exceptions, which in general I do not recommend as it
catches beside user errors also programmers ones. At least you can change
it to `rescue RuntimeError`. And for sure always log what you catch unless
you re-raise it, so it is not silent as now.
And because you catch exception, then global exception handler is not in
reached.

Errghh, I would never have found that. I’ve never seen a language that uses
rescue as an exception handler! Anyway, I now have the actual error now
(which is apperently that “log” IE log.debug() can’t be found in
authserver/dir/ds389.rb.).

Welcome to ruby world. BTW ruby also have throw and catch, but for different
purpose. See
http://rubylearning.com/blog/2011/07/12/throw-catch-raise-rescue--im-so-confused/

Josef

Thanks for your help with this!

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs