[yast-devel] Assistance with logging and errors in yast-auth-server
Hi,

I’ve been working on the yast-auth-server module recently in an attempt to
update it to work with newer versions of 389 Directory Server

At this point I’m a bit stuck, and would like some advice.

The first thing is that when running “rake run” from the directory,
src/clients/krb-server.rb is always run first. What’s the right way to rake-run
which can select to run src/clients/ldap-server.rb

The other thing is that there seems to be an error occuring (very very
silently) between:

https://github.com/Firstyear/yast-auth-server/blob/2019-03-19-update-ds-create/src/lib/authserver/ui/new_dir_inst.rb#L102

In .y2log I can see the package management section complete, but then at
gen_setup_ini/exec_setup, the entire process is silently failing and returning
to the menu. No log or error is provided, no popup appears, and there is no
trace or artefact of an error.

I really feel a bit lost here, so how would I debug this further to diagnose
the error?

As a follow up point, this module appears to attempt to create it’s own log as
can be seen:

https://github.com/Firstyear/yast-auth-server/blob/2019-03-19-update-ds-create/src/lib/authserver/dir/ds389.rb#L87

How can I properly log messages to ‘.y2log’ instead of using a custom logging
function?

My branch and work can be found:

https://github.com/Firstyear/yast-auth-server/tree/2019-03-19-update-ds-create

Thanks!

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs