Re: [yast-devel] Re: Second round: new features in the Partitioner UI
On 09/20/2018 05:20 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

Find below a link to a gist with a possible idea that tries to use:

- (1) menu buttons for grouping actions that are similar/related
- (2) two lines to separate general actions from actions to be performed
on the selected item.

About (1), today during the conversation it became obvious than grouping
the "Add xxx" or the "Delete xxx" actions in menu-buttons made little
sense. That's grouping by the name of the button (both start with "add",
so let's group them!) rather than by their meaning/scope. So the
grouping is actually different to everything we had suggested before.

Some decisions/grouping may look strange at first glance when thinking
locally about a concrete screen. But I hope they are justified by
looking at the consistency of the big picture. And I hope the weirdness
can be mitigating just improving a bit the wording of the buttons.

For example, the following wording may be less disruptive (since it use
"Edit" in a more familiar way) and more clear. The list of
(menu)-buttons is exactly the same than in the gist with the same order
and the same meaning, just with the following labels.

When a Hard Disk is selected:
=============================

Modify (menu-button)
-> Edit Hard Disk
-> Create New Partition Table

Partitions (menu-button)
-> Edit Partitions
-> Add Partition
-> Delete Partitions
-> Clone Partitions to Another Device

When a RAID is selected:
========================

Modify (menu-button)
-> Edit RAID
-> Change Used Devices
-> Create New Partition Table

Partitions (menu-button with same options than above)

Delete RAID

When a Partition is selected:
=============================

Modify (menu-button)
-> Edit Partition
-> Resize Partition
-> Move Partition

Delete Partition

So here is the link:
https://gist.github.com/ancorgs/5e5fd016eb7db7413a1972d52f9ae913

Please provide (at least) feedback or (desirably) alternatives. During
next sprint (starting next Monday) we will start implementing the most
promising idea (whatever it is) to see how people reacts to it.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH