Re: [yast-devel] Again: 98% of "undefined method" errors have nothing to do with static typing
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:14:42 +0100
V Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:47:13 +0100
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxx> napsáno:

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:18:16AM +0100, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
This is probably the less useful mail ever, since it just goes over
a topic that has been explained over and over and still pops us in
almost every single meeting.

Let me say it again: 98% of the "undefined method `xxx' for
nil:NilClass" errors are NOT related AT ALL to Ruby being
dynamically typed and would NOT be prevented by the usage of a
statically typed language.

I think you are mixing static typing and static code analysis.

ciao Arvin

Well, it is a bit related as static code analysis strength is related
to rigidness of language. And actually even c++ have quite weak static
code analysis. That is reason why decade ago java become more popular
as it have better analysis ability and now I think number one for this
purpose is Rust. And on bright side, ruby also plan to have type
inference, but of course it cannot be so strong as in very rigid
languages as rust or java.

Josef