Re: [yast-devel] storage-ng and cloud storage
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 18:01:03 +0200
On Tue, 30 May 2017 17:02:41 +0200
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 30.05.2017 16:22, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Feature complete and robust is important parts, but not for user.

I completely disagree. For most users this is the ONLY important part.

Ok, let me a bit rephrase second part of my sentence: " but not good
reason for user to get/use new major version."

I for example tend to think "oh no, what have they introduced now"
when I get bombarded with ever-changing stuff. Basically, that's why
it took me a long time to make the transition from KDE3 to KDE4, and
why I abandoned KDE altogether when they dumped KDE 5 Plasma upon me.

Users value stability more than anything else. Don't forget that all
those supposedly little changes add up, and every time a part of the
know-how about those things get wasted because they change all the
time.

Sorry, I get totally lost. Here you trying to convince us to use old
libstorage? For me it looks like you trying to say that doing complete
redesign satisfy users that want stability? Or I miss something? If I
use your example you say that you will switch from KDE3 to KDE4 because
KDE4 have same stability like KDE3 and it is somehow more robust then
KDE3?

Only a handful of geeks welcome change for the sake of changing. Any
you are probably familiar with the old statement that 80% of all
users never get beyond using 20% of all the features (which might be
slightly different 20% from one user to the next, however). Adding
even more stuff is just additional stuff to get lost in.

Here against it looks like you are trying to convince anyone just to
not use libstorage-ng. If it is same, they will upgrade just for "sake
of changing".

What I am trying to say, is to convince exactly this type of
users that by nature do not want to upgrade with something that is not
just change for the change, but that really provide them some value
like already mentioned nicer integration with modern hardware ( ssd and
spin disk combination ), better guided setup, better UX, etc.

Kind regards

Josef