Re: [yast-devel] storage-ng and cloud storage
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 16:22:58 +0200
On Tue, 30 May 2017 15:51:32 +0200
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 30.05.2017 14:22, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
So there are some features we can trade in exchange for the missing
ones (whatever they are). :-)

But first at all we should deliver a good replacement for the storage
stack. In the ideal case, it would be a drop-in replacement; but most
likely we might be missing some (probably more exotic) features the
old one had. But being reasonably feature-complete, and, more
importantly, robust, should be our main goal. We should focus on that
and not introduce all kinds of new things that nobody asked for. We
don't exactly feel bored with the amount of things that are still
left to do.

Feature complete and robust is important parts, but not for user. He is
interested if features that he needs or already uses is there ( no
matter how exotic it is ). And also if previous storage stack worked
for them, then robust is for him too abstract term. Plus do not forget
that users is usually a bit conservative, so they love old bugs that
they already know how to workaround them. That is reason why many users
do not update/upgrade so often.

In this situation consider starting mood like zero. Every
feature that user use and is missing send mood to negative
numbers. Every new bug also send adds negative numbers. So only
chance to balance it, is something new that sends customer mood to
positive numbers. And feature complete or robust is not really the ones
that can do it. It is something that find user useful like ones that
mention Ancor, bcache for nicer experience with combination of ssd and
spin disk Arvin mentions, any improved usability ( so user who knows
old stack can say, wow, it is really better ) or something
similar.

And we should really start more intensively promote this new features,
so it is more publicly aware what good it will provide for them and it
can make easier for early adopters to find it and try it.

Josef

Kind regards