Re: [yast-devel] storage-ng and cloud storage
On Tue, 30 May 2017 09:00:02 +0200
Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

yesterday we are discussing a bit plans about merge storage-ng, new
partitioner and such stuff into SLE15 and according to Factory first rule
also to tumbleweed and it looks like we like to integrate it as early as
possible to get some feedback, which is good.

On other hand, from user perspective it will look like that we reduce number
of working features and do not provide anything new for them, so new storage
would be regression for them. So I get idea that it would be great if we can
add at least one new "free-cool-in" feature that make sense for SLE and also
opensuse users. That is widely used and also easy to implement ( as we are
already quite busy with development ) and after some googling I think that
allowing to easy mount cloud storage in expert partitioner can be exactly
that feature. For SLE we should support ceph ( so easy integration with SUSE
storage ) and for opensuse it make sense to support at least one public cloud
storage provider ( like google drive, AWS, Azure blob, rackspace, etc. which
is the easiest to implement ). I think it is trending enough feature, it
should not be hard to implement ( basically entry in fstab ), it has UI ( so
easy to demonstrate ) and everybody knows it.

So here is few my questions:

- Do you think it makes sense?

- Does it make sense to add support for it also in libstorage-ng? And if so,
how hard it will be?

- Does it make sense to also allow non-root access to partitioner via
pam-mount configuration, so each user can mount his own google drive?

I forgot one question.

If we do not adapt libstorage-ng. Will libstorage-ng survive if fstab contain
lines like these?

10.10.10.10:6789:/ /mnt/ceph ceph
name=admin,secretfile=/etc/ceph/secret.key,noatime,_netdev 0 2

or

gdfuse#default /mnt/gdrive fuse allow_other 0 0

In general my estimation how fast I can do this feature without libstorage-ng
and with augeas for fstab is one week of work.

Josef