[yast-devel] Checking the Git status in the Jenkins jobs regularly

Hi all,

currently we use GitHub web hooks for triggering the build jobs at the public
Jenkins
server (https://ci.opensuse.org/view/Yast/).

The advantage is that the web hook is triggered immediately, polling is usually
done
in 5 minutes (or so) intervals. And also polling happens always but I guess in
99%
cases there is no change in the Git repository.

The disadvantage of the web hooks is that if the notification is for any reason
lost
(Jenkins down, network issues,...) then the build is not automatically triggered
later again.

That's not a big problem for packages we touch often (several times a week),
but some
less maintained packages receive updates like twice a year or even less. And a
lost
notification would be really bad in that case.

So my proposal is to besides using web hooks to also set some polling interval
and
additionally check the Git repo states unconditionally in some regular
intervals.

What about scheduling a poll in all jobs once a day? Ideally during night so it
does
not interfere with our work if there is some missing build.

Originally I wanted to run it once a week but as Jenkins checks whether there
is a
change in the Git repo and skips the already built commits it is safe to run it
more
often.

Any comments, ideas?

If nobody is against I'd update all YaST jobs by a script globally.

(Note: This is only about the public Jenkins, the internal Jenkins already uses
polling as the only trigger because it is not reachable from outside and web
hooks
cannot be sent there.)

--
Ladislav Slezák