Re: [yast-devel] apparmor: Texteditor
Dne 3.4.2017 v 16:25 Josef Reidinger napsal(a):
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 09:13:27 -0500 Goldwyn Rodrigues <rgoldwyn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
While hacking on yast-apparmor to remove perl library dependency, we
discussed
on apparmor mailing list that we cannot have all possible options and the
information in yast to facilitate modification of configuration files. So, a
dumb text editor would be the best option to configuration. After the user
modifies the file, it would checked by apparmor_parser for validity.

However, I could not find any options in Yast which would provide a text
editor
or I din't look in the right places.

There is no full text editor in YaST. But as a workaround you could use the
MultiLineEdit widget [1]. It's a simple text field but allows editing multi line
text. In GUI you can use at least the basic shortcuts like Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.
Another advantage is that is works also in the text mode and does not need any
external tools.

In the past we used this trick in the bootloader module, you could display the
proposed configuration and manually edit it. Then it was read and parsed back.
This
way you could set the options which were otherwise not available in the UI.

However I'd avoid this approach, see below.

[...]
In general I think yast goal is to allows non-expert to do common
configuration,
so support options that majority of users find useful. Of course, it is not
easy
to judge what is still common and what is expert only, but we should keep
common
sense. For example enabling debugging is probably not something common user
need,
another example is OWLSM enablement can be there with proper info that it can
break setup.

I fully agree with that. The goal should not be covering 100% of the
available options and configuration possibilities in YaST.

That leads to overly complex UI which is hard to use by non-experts.
On the other hand experts would probably use a terminal and their favorite
editor
avoiding YaST completely.

Focus on the common cases, make them easy and understandable. For complex or
unusual
cases point users to the documentation and manual tools.

The only important thing for YaST is to keep the manual changes, or at least
warn
users when they will be overwritten if keeping them would be too complex or
impossible.

HTH

Ladislav

[1] https://doc.opensuse.org/projects/YaST/SLES11/tdg/MultiLineEdit.html