Re: [yast-devel] apparmor: Texteditor
On 04/04/2017 at 01:00, in message <22603812.fgmShBOELW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Am Montag, 3. April 2017, 16:58:42 CEST schrieb Kenneth Wimer:
Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

At second, I am not sure if text editor is good idea.
Yast goal should be at first to provide easy to setup tool with
guidance, so it is fine if very expect only options are not in GUI.

In general I think yast goal is to allows non-expert to do common
configuration, so support options that majority of users find
useful.
Of course, it is not easy to judge what is still common and what is
expert only, but we should keep common sense.

My opinion on this is:

With the JSON interface added to the AppArmor tools, YaST will get back
the UI for aa-logprof and aa-genprof (for interactively updating and
generating profiles).

I'd consider manually editing a profile an expert task (not in the sense
that it's complicated, but non-experts probably prefer using aa-logprof
or the YaST interface of it), so adding a plain editor doesn't make too
much sense IMHO ;-)

Two crazy ideas:

- implement a minimal profile editor in YaST, that can _only_ edit profile
variables in /etc/apparmor.d/tunables/*
That's something that could be useful for non-experts, for example to
set the dovecot mailstore location for the dovecot profiles.
(Be warned that even this isn't as simple as it might look ;-)

- implement a profile editor with something like PyQt - it could use the
apparmor.rule.* python classes directly and therefore offer a real
value. (Of course, PyQt would mean that it only works in the graphical
interface.)
Such an editor would live in upstream AppArmor, YaST could just call
it.

Note that both ideas (especially the PyQt-based editor) are just ideas.
I won't add them to my TODO list - I already have vim ;-)

I would see this as two separate things:

1) Editor for file
- my guess here is that we won't make a better editor than the one
the user is used to using :-)

Adding an editor to YaST would offer a completely new option in the
editor wars! ;-)

On a more serious note: you might want to use vim for AppArmor profiles
because it has syntax highlighting.

2) Validating file
- this sounds like a good first step. Perhaps just offer functionality
to parse said file and present useful feedback to the user?

I agree it would be useful, but if there is no "edit profile" button, a
"validate profile" button might cause some confusion ("why does YaST
offer to validate a profile if I can't edit it in YaST?")

Maybe something along the lines of the SOC Crowbar barclamp editor? It supports
a set of pre-defined options/keys as
well as a simple text editor for the file (raw view).

Kenneth Wimer
UI/UX Team Lead
(AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nürnberg, Germany
Phone: +49 911 740 53-669