Re: [yast-devel] Proposal for new desktop dialog in installation
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 11:45:27 +0100
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09.02.2017 10:04, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Hi Ken, Ludwig, YaST Hackers,
I work on providing new desktop selection dialog in installation
according to https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/14936 . So after
some tweaking and thinking I reuse roles dialog same as we had in
SLES, just with desktop selection.

You can see result in
https://github.com/yast/skelcd-control-openSUSE/pull/73
( screenshots and videos ). What do you think about it? I welcome
any feedback. I add there to comparison also old work-flow where is
one screen with online repos which we currently integrate in
desktop selection.

This discussion has been going in circles since at least 15 years.
Most of the time, people thought it's a good idea to keep the
concepts apart; server vs. workstation is a different concept than
desktop selection (stretching the concept by including text mode
there).

At some point in the past, the system roles involved into the
software patterns. And I bet this will be the next thing that will be
added little by little in that now redesigned dialog because there
are different kinds of servers.

if we want different kind of servers then it should belong to next
dialog after you select server role.

I'd avoid going down that road. It does not lead anywhere.

Well, if we keep direction I believe it will where we want and I hope
we already learn from past. But it will be sad if result of previous
experience is to give it up.

Desktop selection vs. system roles are completely orthogonal
concepts. Mixing that up in this dialog will (not "might", definitely
"will") cause wrong expectations. I am aware that right now it's just
a wording issue, but we had that in the past, and this did spin off
into a completely unexpected direction in the past just because of
similar unlucky wording.

I would also avoid having that "add repos" thing there; it opens yet
another completely different topic which does not belong there. Doing
something like that in any follow-up dialog when somebody selects
"other" is legitimate, but in this dialog it's very much misplaced.

But other and add repos are not related as add repos mean that you want
to have more sources for installation and it works for all roles. I in
video use it for "other" but it make sense for any of it. As you can
see previously it was separated dialog which from my POV is very empty
and does not look nice. This part was requested so it reduce number of
steps and make more consistent UI.

So for this reason placing it after selecting other is wrong from
functional POV. Do you have other suggestion where it can be placed
where anyone can select it? We do not have much more places and in
definitivelly need to be placed before pattern selection screen as from
additional repos can come also more patterns.

Kind regards

Thanks for feedback

Josef