Re: [yast-devel] The Desktop Selection Screen
Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Dne 24.1.2017 v 09:37 Ancor Gonzalez Sosa napsal(a):

As far as I know (and I could perfectly be wrong), we have a better way
to pre-select patterns (and not only patterns) that would not be
affected by (1) and (2). System roles. Isn't it?

Oh, that's actually an interesting idea...

Right now, system roles are not used in openSUSE... but they look to me
like a good replacement for the desktop selection screen.

Any obvious drawback I'm overlooking?

Um, the Desktop selection dialog defines only the pattern selection,
so there are basically two options:

1) Define the openSUSE roles to only configure the patterns
(to be backward compatible with the current behavior,
users are used to it)

2) Additionally configure some other options (partitioning,...),
just like in SLES, e.g. do not propose separate /home for a minimal system.

This is a different behavior but I'd tend to prefer this approach as it is
far
more flexible and probably better fits the user requirements.

The only thing I'd improve is the visual appearance. The roles dialog
looks... so plain. The current desktop selection dialog has some nice icons
which
improve the dialog a lot. But that should not be hard to improve I guess...

I don't mind how it's implemented.
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/735808#step/system_role/1
vs
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/340542#step/installer_desktopselection/1