Re: [yast-devel] Reusing volume groups in the new partition proposal
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:10:34 +0100

We are discussing here what to do when reusing an existing volume
group in the new storage proposal and I would like to hear as many
opinions as possible, as I don't know what is better.
https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/pull/111#discussion_r87795799

What the old (current) proposal does
====================================
(A longer version of this explanation including examples is available
in a comment at https://trello.com/c/WbcaGFAo for those with access.)

The old proposal only reuses a VG called "system". If such VG exists
and is big enough, the required LVs will be created there.

The previous LVs will not be touched if there is enough free space.
Otherwise, as many LVs as needed will be deleted (not necessarily all
of them).

There is one special case. The proposal reuses (reformats) any LV
named "root" (if it's big enough, I assume).

What the code in yast-storage-ng#pr111 does
The new proposal decides which VG to reuse (if any) based on the size,
not on the name.

There is no reusing of LVs. The proposal simply deletes as many
previous LVs as needed to make space for ours (it deletes none if
there is enough free space already at the beginning). Pretty much
like the old proposal does.

What's under discussion
=======================
Steffen suggested that we should always just delete all LVs when
reusing an existing VG. At least in the case when we don't fit into
the original free space.

That would mean less logic to maintain, of course, but I wonder
whether its a step backwards.

So I guess the question is - does it makes sense to be conservative
when deleting LVs (trying to delete as few as possible) or should we
go directly all the way through?

Cheers.

Well, interesting topic. When I testing, it is fine for me to delete
everything and recreate from scratch. But If I as home user do fresh
installation, I would like to keep LV with home or any "data" LV ( I
often have data LV that is separated from home, as home contain also
version specific configuration of packages, which I would like to kill
for proper working of software, but I have separated data LV, which
contains photos, videos and documents, which I after installation mount
to target home.
And there is third group which is corporate users, that probably are
not so interested in home, as it is remote or having documents
elsewhere, where I expect it is not problem to destroy all LVs.

So from my POV(!) it make sense

for openSUSE:
- destroy only root and swap LV and try to reuse others

for SLE:
- destroy all

Josef