Re: [yast-devel] Reusing volume groups in the new partition proposal
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 06:30:02PM +0100, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
On Monday 2016-11-14 18:10, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

Steffen suggested that we should always just delete all LVs when reusing
an existing VG. At least in the case when we don't fit into the original
free space.

That would mean less logic to maintain, of course, but I wonder whether
its a step backwards.

So I guess the question is - does it makes sense to be conservative when
deleting LVs (trying to delete as few as possible) or should we go
directly all the way through?

If you are thinking about typical setups, imagine you have an existing VG
(say, from a previous suse install) with root+swap+home, no free space left
in this VG. Lets assume home to be the biggest chunk.

The new code will go looking for space, finds root too small (because we are
looking for at least root+swap) and will propose to kill the old home and
add a new set of root+home (possibly reusing the old swap).

I think that would be unnecessarily fragmenting disk space and we'd be
better off just killing all LVs and adding a new set of LVs (owning the
whole VG).

In the past people often complained about YaST deleting the home
partition or logical volume. Those people would expect the
proposal to reuse home and either delete and recreate or simply
format root and swap. Why those people don't make an update I
can only guess - bad experience with updates.

ciao
Arvin