Re: [yast-devel] more helpful error message (was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 42.2 RC2 says internal ruby error on install)
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2016, 13:45:45 CET schrieb Josef Reidinger:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:23:58 +0100 Christian Boltz wrote:
I'd like to propose a small, but IMHO important improvement:
It is not obvious for "normal users" [1] which logs are needed.

Please change the error message so that it contains a hint about

save_y2logs, for example:
Error

Internal error. Please report a bug report with logs.
Run "save_y2logs" to collect the needed logfiles. <---- add

this Details: [...]

This one-line addition will make it easier for users and give you
better bugreports.

Bonus points if you also add the bugzilla URL ;-)

This looks good to me. About bugzilla URL we discuss also in past and
only tricky way is how to properly report
bugzilla.opensuse.org/bugzilla.suse.com on proper project. Otherwise
opensuse community complains about using suse one with its branding
and vise versa.

Well, when this message appears, the user sees YaST exploding and
burning - and complaining about a "wrong" bugzilla link is a luxery
problem in this case ;-)

Even as an openSUSE user, I'd argue that in doubt you should go for
bugzilla.suse.com here, because SUSE pays your salery ;-) and SLE
therefore wins. If someone really complains about the "wrong" link, you
can send him/her to me ;-) and/or point to this mail.

Yes, you could use an if condition, and in theory, YaST knows if it's
running on SLE or openSUSE - but in a crash handler, every added
complexity is too much IMHO. I don't want to see an "Error while
displaying the error message" dialog ;-))

So: please don't think about this detail too much and integrate the
improved message!

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Ideally, upstream projects would care for AppArmor profiles
(as much as they would care for SELinux),