Re: [yast-devel] Updating CONTRIBUTING.md?
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 09:35:44 +0200
Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Our CONTRIBUTING.md files say:

Do not change the VERSION and *.changes files as this could lead to
conflicts.

But that means we need to open a separate Pull Request with just the
version update and added changes after merging a contribution. See
e.g. [1], [2].

I find this a bit annoying, esp. for trivial PRs which we could just
merge and be done with that.

I'd suggest to change it to the opposite: ask the contributors to
update the version and add a changes entry.

If reviewing of a PR takes more time and there is another change
merged in the meantime we could simply ask the contributor to resolve
the conflict and update the PR.

What do you think about it? What is your experience?

I fully agree, it is a bit annoying. Maybe we can add note that if it
is long running pr, then changes and version increase should be done as
last step. But not having changes and version update is annoying.

Josef

Ladislav

[1] https://github.com/yast/yast-theme/pull/69
[2] https://github.com/yast/yast-theme/pull/70