Re: [yast-devel] Ruby refinements
On 08/08/2016 12:08 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 08/08/2016 12:00 PM, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 10:17:56AM +0200, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 08/08/2016 10:11 AM, Imobach González Sosa wrote:
Hi all,

AFAIK, you're using refinements in libstorage-ng so maybe some of you are
interested in this short article: 'The Pros and Cons of Ruby
Refinements'[1].

We are using it because libstorage-ng-ruby performs strict type checking
(it's a binding for C++, so it makes sense). That kills duck typing and
makes quite hard to use forwarders, decorators and other usual Ruby
techniques. Refinements allows us to decorate classes coming from
libstorage-ng without introducing other types.

You also refine standard ruby classes, e.g. Fixnum and Float in
size_casts.rb.

Having looked at some other refinements I must say that I don't
consider them to be good. E.g. you extend 'Partition' with
'uuid' and 'label' that provide the UUID and label from the
filesystem on the partition, see partition_attributes.rb. This
will cause problems if the 'Partition' object should ever get a
uuid or label function, which is possible since partitions on GPT
have these attributes (putting aside label/name and UUID/GUID
nitpicking).

As yardoc documentation states, these three refinements are only used to
make RSpec tests more readable: PartitionAttributes, SizeCasts,
TestDevicegraph.

Those are exactly the refinements you find "not good". And you are right
:-), they are there just for usage in RSpec, not in "real" code.

Should we move then to a specific namespace to make it more obvious?
Something like
Y2Storage::Refinements::Test::PartitionAttributes
instead of
Y2Storage::Refinements::PartitionAttributes

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH