Re: [yast-devel] YaST Installer Memory Consumption (the Ruby part)
Dne 27.7.2016 v 16:06 Martin Vidner napsal(a):
which loads the SSH keys and configuration from the previous installation
and needs about 270kB memory.

Is that the largest allocation, or the largest persistent (leaked)
allocation?
IMHO we do not need to care if the memory is freed soon enough.

It is not the largest allocation, it is just a complete memory dump in a
specific
point - just before starting the installation, at the installation confirmation
dialog. To find the largest allocation you would need to add some code. And
that code
could potentially change the memory allocation, remember Heisenberg...

AFAIK all information collected at this point is kept until the end of the
installation. (Maybe something is dropped later in the inst_finish step but
that does
not matter, the most memory critical steps are partitioning and package
installation.)

But a temporary file can be deleted and the memory reused (I hope). Which may
be
easier than convincing Ruby to let go of all the references.

Actually yes, but it depends how much is the Ruby GC aggressive in freeing
unused
memory...

Theoretically the space occupied by a temporary file should be reused faster
but I'm
not sure if the potential gain is worth the effort. And we already did some
memory
optimizations...

--

Ladislav Slezák