Re: [yast-devel] Porting yast-apparmor
On Mon, 23 May 2016 19:00:36 +0200
Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2016, 07:43:59 CEST schrieb Goldwyn Rodrigues:
Apparmor has switched from perl to python (version 3.4). Most of the
tools/libraries are written in python. All earlier perl modules have
been deprecated.
OTOH, yast is moving towards ruby deprecating python bindings, but
still keeping the perl-bindings.

This leaves the fate of yast-apparmor in a bit unsupported state.

"a bit"? ;-)

2.8 was the last AppArmor version with perl-based tools, and they
were not maintained too much ;-) (look at the perl code to
understand the reason *eg*)

Since 2.9, we have the python-based tools with more readable code and
less bugs.

I have tried rubypython, but it supports python version 2.7 only.
Supporting version 3 and above is not in their agenda as yet.
Another ruby module "python" is not actively developed/maintained.

So, I am asking for options on how we can take the development of
yast-apparmor forward.

One of the options is to create dbus interface between
servers_non_y2 and clients. But that would require another process
running in the background for event loop. It comes with it the
steps of cleaning up the process on a exit/kill etc.

Any other ideas? I am pushing for the comeback of python bindings if
possible ;)

I'm thinking about implementing an alternative interface to
aa-logprof and aa-genprof that uses JSON instead of user-readable
text. (This is just an idea, no code for this exists yet.)

This would mean that YaST would start "aa-logprof --json", get the
questions in JSON format (the exact format still needs to be
defined), convert it into a matching YaST dialog, and send back the
user response to aa-logprof.

It would also mean that you don't need to worry about the programming
language because you just read and write JSON from/to a pipe, and
that YaST gets all enhancements in aa-logprof automatically.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Note: "no code yet" also means that I can't promise a date when
aa-logprof --json will be available ;-)

The YaST "profile editor" is a different story. I didn't think about
a solution for it yet, but it should be possible to parse and convert
a profile to JSON somehow. The interesting question is how we can
teach YaST about allowed values without re-implementing everything in
YaST.

BTW: Will you be at the openSUSE conference? If yes, we can talk
there ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

JSoN interface sounds good to me. I think it is good idea. As I said on
IRC DBuS or CLI interface is good for yast. In general any stable
format like XML, JSoN or YAML is good for YaST as it is easy to parse
with ruby and easy to construct.

BTW I will be at conference.

Josef