Re: [yast-devel] Porting yast-apparmor
Hello,

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2016, 07:43:59 CEST schrieb Goldwyn Rodrigues:
Apparmor has switched from perl to python (version 3.4). Most of the
tools/libraries are written in python. All earlier perl modules have
been deprecated.
OTOH, yast is moving towards ruby deprecating python bindings, but
still keeping the perl-bindings.

This leaves the fate of yast-apparmor in a bit unsupported state.

"a bit"? ;-)

2.8 was the last AppArmor version with perl-based tools, and they were
not maintained too much ;-) (look at the perl code to understand the
reason *eg*)

Since 2.9, we have the python-based tools with more readable code and
less bugs.

I have tried rubypython, but it supports python version 2.7 only.
Supporting version 3 and above is not in their agenda as yet. Another
ruby module "python" is not actively developed/maintained.

So, I am asking for options on how we can take the development of
yast-apparmor forward.

One of the options is to create dbus interface between servers_non_y2
and clients. But that would require another process running in the
background for event loop. It comes with it the steps of cleaning up
the process on a exit/kill etc.

Any other ideas? I am pushing for the comeback of python bindings if
possible ;)

I'm thinking about implementing an alternative interface to aa-logprof
and aa-genprof that uses JSON instead of user-readable text. (This is
just an idea, no code for this exists yet.)

This would mean that YaST would start "aa-logprof --json", get the
questions in JSON format (the exact format still needs to be defined),
convert it into a matching YaST dialog, and send back the user response
to aa-logprof.

It would also mean that you don't need to worry about the programming
language because you just read and write JSON from/to a pipe, and that
YaST gets all enhancements in aa-logprof automatically.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Note: "no code yet" also means that I can't promise a date when
aa-logprof --json will be available ;-)

The YaST "profile editor" is a different story. I didn't think about a
solution for it yet, but it should be possible to parse and convert a
profile to JSON somehow. The interesting question is how we can teach
YaST about allowed values without re-implementing everything in YaST.

BTW: Will you be at the openSUSE conference? If yes, we can talk there
;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Superior to what? Yes, HTML is superior at transporting viruses and
malware onto your computer or causing other inappropriate actions to