Re: [yast-devel] ERROR: For RAID1, select at least 2 device.
On 19.4.2016 11:02, rneuhauser@xxxxxxx wrote:
# lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx / 2016-04-19 10:54:20 +0200:
Obviously, some technical solution exists, for instance, while adding
devices to the not-yet-created RAID, we could, e.g., have an info label
below the RAID name, changed according to the current status:

- 1 disk in RAID1: RAID will be created in degraded mode, add more
devices to ... (WTF is degraded? says 85% of users)
- 2 disks in RAID1: RAID will be created in full-duplex mode ;)
- 3 disks in RAID1: Uh...
- 1 disk in RAID5: Er ...
- etc.

so the user knows what RAID1 is but "degraded" will confuse them?
i'll believe it when i see it.

"RAID1" was here used in context

"current state": "message for user"

And what I wrote was just an example. The fact, that you already have a
deep knowledge about RAID types does not help here, your view is already
biased by that fact ;)

I did not say "X will confuse everyone", I said it would confuse 85% of
users, it can be more, it can be less. Yast is a tool (or at least is
planned for being a tool) for making things simple/r for users - OK, now
you try to beat me that it's not. Well, maybe not now, maybe not yet,
but it's definitely on the way there. This actually doesn't mean that it
should have all possible options, in fact, the opposite.

HTH
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Promise#Czech_Republic