Re: [yast-devel] Builtins.time
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:53:46 +0200

On 04/05/2016 02:54 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:38:22 +0200
Stefan Schubert <schubi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,
ich have removed all calls -Builtins.time- from the YaST code.
^^^

nice :)

This call is marked as deprecated.
So the question has been raised if we should remove this call from
builtins.rb
completely in order not providing it anymore.

What is your opinion ?

Well, my opinion as there is still some team that plan to port their
yast modules to SLE12 and maybe start with SP2 like OES, then we
should not complicate too much their job by removing API. So my
suggestion is to remove all deprecated calls for SLE13.

Which bring us back to
https://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel/2016-02/msg00028.html

There is not point in choosing one date or another if we don't
maintain a list of deprecated stuff we plan to remove, so the removal
is known in advance.

The simplest solution would be to have a list of functions and modules
somewhere (a wiki, a file in yast.github.io). Announcing in this
mailing list every time we add an item to the list. In addition, we
should mark the code as deprecated (a comment would be enough, a
deprecation message in the logs would be also appreciated).

I agree that it would be useful. E.g. when I was in USA and work with
OES team, then this page[1] is very very useful when we found problem
and if not found, then I have to dig into changelog or git history to
find what is removed and by what it is replaced.

Just note that please never use deprecation message as old testsuite
is so cool tuned, that any new log message can break it in general
stuff like whole yast2 (I try it in past and it break horrible a lot
of packages and its testsuite). If it is leap package and nothing
depends on it, then we do not need to keep API :)

Josef

Cheers.