Re: [yast-devel] Feedback needed: users screen
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 10:41:17 +0100
On 01/21/2016 09:19 AM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
After getting some bug reports about usability of the "create user"
screen during installation we have decided to do something about it...
but it's not so easy.

The current status
==================

Here you can see the current screen.
http://paste.opensuse.org/29576621
There is quite some functionality hidden there:

A) You can select the password encryption method
(clicking on "Change...")

B) You can select one of only one of these options:

B.1) Create a user
(Obvious)

B.2) Skip user creation
(Leaving the form blank and clicking "Next", a confirmation
popup will be displayed "This only makes sense in environments
with an authentication service. Are you sure?")

B.3) Import users from a previous installation.
(Clicking on "Change..." and then checking the corresponding
checkbox -only visible if users are detected- under the
section "authentication method")

B.3 is so well hidden that I wouldn't be surprised if nobody uses it or
if the feature is full of bugs.

Last but not least, the dialog exposes a feature that is not there. The
summary suggest that you can change the authentication method, but the
only supported option is "local /etc/password". The option is there only
to display B.3 (tricky!!).

My proposal
===========

[...]

That's why I finally implemented (apart from a huge code refactoring
that I cannot emphasize enough).

The normal installation workflow have now 2 steps:

1) Creation of user. This is how it looks in a clean system and in
a system with previous users
http://paste.opensuse.org/49352643
http://paste.opensuse.org/82424404

2) Root's password. As usual, this step is skipped if "use passwd for
system administrator" is checked. It looks like always
http://paste.opensuse.org/64013174

That's it. No more hidden functionality.

But you could be wondering where the encryption method selector ended
up. That depends on the content of the proposal section of the
control.xml of the distribution.

Option a) Nothing (current) - The option is simply not there anymore

Option b) users proposal - The installation summary looks like this
(check "users settings" section) http://paste.opensuse.org/91473850

Option c) users_encryption proposal - Summary looks like this
(check "password encryption...") http://paste.opensuse.org/2932351

With both options b and c, clicking on the name of the method will take
the user to this screen
http://paste.opensuse.org/1847241

And that is. I'm currently preparing the source code for its final merge
into yast2-users. So if you have any feedback, speak up now. :-)

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH