Re: [yast-devel] Feedback needed: users screen
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 15:24:15 +0100
On 01/22/2016 03:13 PM, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 22.1.2016 13:35, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
A assume that "next to root password" means one additional step after
setting the root password. That would be the easiest option to
implement, but I kind of dislike having an extra screen for such a small
and "obscure" setting.

No, it's definitely not about adding yet another empty dialog. Next to,
is "close to".

I believe it belongs to the summary screen because:
- Many users will not know what it's about
- The default value is good for most cases, a few users would change it

Then I hope you will get the blessing from Ken later as what I remember,
he wanted to remove as much from the summary as possible.

If "next to root password" means in the same step that setting the root
password, I have even more reasons to dislike it. :-)

I believe you do, but as you did not write any of them here, it's hard
to compare what is worse :)

In addition to the already commented reasons (obscure and usually not
changed):
- The root password step is currently skipped in some cases
(like if "use this password for root" in checked when creating user)
- It's abusing a single step that now has a clear goal to do two
different things

Anyway, I'm neither a designer nor a usability expert, although I've
already done quite some bad UI and learned from that a bit. If I knew
how to make a simply-looking and understandable UI while having all the
requested features, I would probably win a Nobel prize for design!

Yeah, quite challenging.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa