Re: [yast-devel] Feedback needed: users screen
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:11:39 +0100
On 01/21/2016 10:48 AM, Alexander Melentev wrote:
Hi, Ancor & all
If you are OK with recieving some user feedback through devel list,
I'd like to share my opinion on that.

We are glad to have user feedback!

[strip]

B.3) Import users from a previous installation.
(Clicking on "Change..." and then checking the corresponding
checkbox -only visible if users are detected- under the
section "authentication method")

B.3 is so well hidden that I wouldn't be surprised if nobody uses it or
if the feature is full of bugs.
Wow, I can only remember one time I've actually seen this dialog about
importing existing users

Hopefully, everything is self-explanatory with this approach. The
problem is that the last screenshot looks too crowded (maybe too much
for same verbose languages). But I not sure if I like the alternatives
we discussed in irc.
You can get rid of crowdness by not being so verbose, also some option
reordering can help.
Option 1: Skip user creation (use authentication server)
//this can fit in one line even in Russian
Option 2: Create new user
//selected by default, all the corresponding fields go unchanged
If there was an existing installation detected, below goes the same
text field as in current screen, but it says smth like "Existing
installation was detected at <partition>. You can import users from
there" and the button wiil be "Select users".

So you mean no radio button for importing users. Isn't it? The problem
is that then is not so obvious, from my POV, that importing users and
creating a new one are exclusive to each other.

I think this way all three options will be correctly presented without
much visual clutter.

I'll try a solution with the three radio buttons but with your wording
and sorting suggestions.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa