[yast-devel] Feedback needed: users screen
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:19:09 +0100
After getting some bug reports about usability of the "create user"
screen during installation we have decided to do something about it...
but it's not so easy.

The current status
==================

Here you can see the current screen.
http://paste.opensuse.org/29576621
There is quite some functionality hidden there:

A) You can select the password encryption method
(clicking on "Change...")

B) You can select one of only one of these options:

B.1) Create a user
(Obvious)

B.2) Skip user creation
(Leaving the form blank and clicking "Next", a confirmation
popup will be displayed "This only makes sense in environments
with an authentication service. Are you sure?")

B.3) Import users from a previous installation.
(Clicking on "Change..." and then checking the corresponding
checkbox -only visible if users are detected- under the
section "authentication method")

B.3 is so well hidden that I wouldn't be surprised if nobody uses it or
if the feature is full of bugs.

Last but not least, the dialog exposes a feature that is not there. The
summary suggest that you can change the authentication method, but the
only supported option is "local /etc/password". The option is there only
to display B.3 (tricky!!).

My proposal
===========

First of all, I'd move (A) to the final installation summary screen,
where we already have things like installing the bootloader on MBR or
disabling the firewall, configuring hardware and so on. It's one of
those advanced settings that most users will not touch.

About B, that's how the proposal would look like...
...if no previous users were detected
http://paste.opensuse.org/79458151
...if a partition with users is detected
http://paste.opensuse.org/10570162

Hopefully, everything is self-explanatory with this approach. The
problem is that the last screenshot looks too crowded (maybe too much
for same verbose languages). But I not sure if I like the alternatives
we discussed in irc:

- Tabs are discouraged (if not forbidden) in the installer
- Displaying a pop-up and/or an additional previous step for importing
users if they are detected can be tricky when going backwards and
doesn't provide such a good overview about the 3 options.

I need to hear (read) more opinions... and I want to fix it this week.
So let's keep the conversation realistic :-)

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH