Re: [yast-devel] Moving Clients to 'lib' && Keeping the History
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:21:32 +0100
Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4.12.2015 16:06, rneuhauser@xxxxxxx wrote:
The trick was to persuade git that I have just moved files from one
location to another. I've probably discovered America today, but it
still might be helpful to you :)

git does not track moves/renames. unlike some other versioning
tools like svn or hg, git does not attach any "identity" to a file.

This is about moving code from place A to place B. How Martin did it
made him author of all the code at place B, which I just did not want.
The trick was to do it in more steps.

i don't know what "this move has removed all the history from those
new files" means, but it's probably about a github's shortcoming.

Well, hasn't "removed the history", you can still see it, but
developers usually try `git blame` to find out who and why did
something, so it's not just GitHub. And even if so, we use GitHub, so
we somehow have to take that into account anyway.

git blame also support --follow, so if you need to find who is author
of line after move, then simple you can use `git blame --follow <file>`.

So Lukas extra step really helps with finding author of line.

HTH
Lukas