Re: [yast-devel] Moving Clients to 'lib' && Keeping the History
# lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx / 2015-12-04 13:55:00 +0100:
Hi,

You probably remember that Martin has moved code from installation
clients from src/clients to src/lib/installation/clients recently,
unfortunately this move has removed all the history from those new files
[#1][#2].

I've found a way how to move the content and still keep the history
[#3][#4], this is what I did:

1. Moved files from scr/clients to lib/users/clients with `git mv`
2. Pushed this change as a separate commit to my repo
3. Added new clients to scr/clients calling lib/users/clients/*
4. Adapted Makefile.am in src to rake (take) care about libs
5. Pushed again

The trick was to persuade git that I have just moved files from one
location to another. I've probably discovered America today, but it
still might be helpful to you :)

git does not track moves/renames. unlike some other versioning tools
like svn or hg, git does not attach any "identity" to a file.

i don't know what "this move has removed all the history from those new
files" means, but it's probably about a github's shortcoming.

--
roman