Re: [yast-devel] New libstorage: Returning NULL pointers vs. throwing exceptions
On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:42:38AM +0100, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Dne 24.11.2015 v 16:45 Josef Reidinger napsal(a):
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 15:47:24 +0100
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 24.11.2015 15:15, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Well, in OOP is also one more approach called NullObject pattern,
which is create kind if partition table, that in represent no
partition table.

This is wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where to
begin...

I know it is a bit controversy, similar like Singleton pattern. I agree
that over use it is bad design, but I also think it works nice in some
situations.

Null objects are used in libzypp quite a lot (e.g. [1], [2]).

But they are not used everywhere. Look for exceptions in y2log.

The libzypp API is huge and IMHO well designed. Sometimes too many templates
or "magic" boost patterns, but that's probably because I'm not an experienced
C++
developer. In general I like the API.

And that is why we have to manually maintain bindings? Those
bindings deal with exceptions as well and "catch (...) {}" is
commonly used.

My approach is KISS.

Maybe we could ask the libzypp developers for their experience with such
a huge API? To get some recommendations and early feedback...

I have already done so in the past and will continue to do so.

Regards,
Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxxx>