Re: [yast-devel] New libstorage: Returning NULL pointers vs. throwing exceptions
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 15:32:34 +0100
On 11/24/2015 03:15 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 14:45:45 +0100
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

Well, in OOP is also one more approach called NullObject pattern, which
is create kind if partition table, that in represent no partition
table. Let me below show how it will behave. ( and yes, I know it is a
bit controversial pattern -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_Object_pattern

Indeed, while reading HuHa's mail, the NullObject pattern was the first
thing that came to my mind as well (it looks like a tailored example to
explain the pattern). Fortunately, Josef already explained it much
better that I would have done.

[...]
[...]

OTOH if there would be more checks that might fail (such as the
'if disk && disk.partition_table && disk.partition_table.gpt?' check
above), that one 'begin..rescue' block would handle them all, and the
control flow remains clear and straightforward.

And that's the beauty of it.

Well, I am not sure as you should use more specialized exception
catcher, otherwise you can catch also other problem, that should go
more top level, so in the end, you might want to rescue from three
kinds of exception like

rescue NoPartitionTable, NoDisk, NotGpt => e

which is not so beauty.

Well, to be fair, you could use Inheritance like
class LibStorage::NotFound < Exception; end
class LibStorage::NoPartitionTable < LibStorage::NotFound; end
class LibStorage::NoDisk < LibStorage::NotFound; end
and so on, so you only need to catch
rescue LibStorage::NotFound => e

Still, I prefer the NullObject pattern instead of abusing the exceptions
system (which, as a side note, used to be quite slow in the first
versions of Ruby 2, not sure now).

[...]

Still I think for common situation that can easily happen like disk
without partitions we should consider NullPattern approach, which *for
me* is in this situation better approach.

+1

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa