Re: [yast-devel] Adding snapper/libstorage to Jenkins
On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 02:28:24PM +0100, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:14:33 +0100
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 12:51:43PM +0100, Josef Reidinger wrote:

Maintain such VMs? Those are standard images just started. If the
VM has a unused disk some integration tests for libstorage and
snapper would already be possible.

keeping it up to date, world around changed, so also VM need some
love. I already have over 20 vms for various env and for older one,
there is always problems when started that something outside
changed ( e.g. YaST:Devel no longer support the old distribution,
maintenance updates released, etc. )

No, you are not taking about the cloud but just a hand full of
machines. I propose to just take the latest image from the
buildservice, create a VM and start it. Afterwards you delete the
VM again. I have heard Amazon makes good money with that concept.

you need to maintain such images, or you think someone magically create
for you latest snapper devel image?

Well, yes:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:aschnell:build-appliance

That is entirely exaggerated: On my machine I can work on
libstorage, snapper and yast2-core without having to change the
set of installed packages. Maybe that's different in the Ruby
world but for C/C++ some extra libraries in general do not hurt.

so you propose to create such heavy weight beast image that contain all
development libraries in our cloud setup? And ensure everything is up
to date. And to be honest it is not some, it is a lot of libraries, its
devel packages and generators ( like bison or flex ).

So you create for all distribution such beast with tons of extra
libraries and then using it?

The appliance above, which has everything to compile, unit-test,
and package snapper, libstorage and libstorage-bgl-eval, is not
hugh, below half of a GB.

And do you expect that newcomers do it same way?

No, the appliance is for Jenkins, not developers.

Regards,
Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxxx>