Re: [yast-devel] Adding snapper/libstorage to Jenkins
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:14:33 +0100
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 12:51:43PM +0100, Josef Reidinger wrote:

Maintain such VMs? Those are standard images just started. If the
VM has a unused disk some integration tests for libstorage and
snapper would already be possible.

keeping it up to date, world around changed, so also VM need some
love. I already have over 20 vms for various env and for older one,
there is always problems when started that something outside
changed ( e.g. YaST:Devel no longer support the old distribution,
maintenance updates released, etc. )

No, you are not taking about the cloud but just a hand full of
machines. I propose to just take the latest image from the
buildservice, create a VM and start it. Afterwards you delete the
VM again. I have heard Amazon makes good money with that concept.

you need to maintain such images, or you think someone magically create
for you latest snapper devel image? Or you have to always install it
from beginning to get all required packages and dependencies...but
wait, maybe osc already do it.

jenkins now use osc which use chroot, so more docker like solution.
Why is using VMs better then using osc chroot?

Well, if Jenkins already uses chroot we can create the package
there. That would not require changes to the source code. Or am I
missing something?

No, as osc need
1) spec file ( now you need whole autotools monster with its
dependencies to generate it )
2) tarball ( same problem with autotools beast )

That is reason why yast now have simple command to create tarball, spec
files are not generated and rest is done inside osc that ensure proper
environment according to requirements from spec file.

And it is not image for each distribution, it is image for each
distribution and each package, as you env is different for each
package ( devel libraries for yast2-core is different then for
snapper ).

That is entirely exaggerated: On my machine I can work on
libstorage, snapper and yast2-core without having to change the
set of installed packages. Maybe that's different in the Ruby
world but for C/C++ some extra libraries in general do not hurt.

so you propose to create such heavy weight beast image that contain all
development libraries in our cloud setup? And ensure everything is up
to date. And to be honest it is not some, it is a lot of libraries, its
devel packages and generators ( like bison or flex ).

So you create for all distribution such beast with tons of extra
libraries and then using it? And do you expect that newcomers do it
same way? I think maybe some other people that touch yast and snapper
or libstorage can compare how hard/easy is to contribute and use such
infrastructure, how well it is documented and so on.

And also do not forget about interdependencies. New snapper
maybe need new libbtrfs library, so it also have to be updated.

By taking the latest image from the buildservice the library is
up to date. If not the build will also fail and submitting is not
an option.

So you expect buildservice create such beast image that contain all
devel libraries? Do you ask build service team how they like it?
Because every small change trigger rebuild of that beast having tenths
of GB

And here you want a complete system where you can compile the
sources directly from your editor. So you need a VM/system.

No, ...

I do want that and I'm not alone with that view.

As I said, having simple way to have spec file and tarball do not break
your workflow with compilation in your VMs. I just do not like that
your view is now only way how to do it (r).

Josef

Regards,
Arvin