Re: [yast-devel] Adding snapper/libstorage to Jenkins
On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 12:51:43PM +0100, Josef Reidinger wrote:

Maintain such VMs? Those are standard images just started. If the
VM has a unused disk some integration tests for libstorage and
snapper would already be possible.

keeping it up to date, world around changed, so also VM need some love.
I already have over 20 vms for various env and for older one, there is
always problems when started that something outside changed ( e.g.
YaST:Devel no longer support the old distribution, maintenance updates
released, etc. )

No, you are not taking about the cloud but just a hand full of
machines. I propose to just take the latest image from the
buildservice, create a VM and start it. Afterwards you delete the
VM again. I have heard Amazon makes good money with that concept.

jenkins now use osc which use chroot, so more docker like solution. Why
is using VMs better then using osc chroot?

Well, if Jenkins already uses chroot we can create the package
there. That would not require changes to the source code. Or am I
missing something?

And it is not image for each distribution, it is image for each
distribution and each package, as you env is different for each package
( devel libraries for yast2-core is different then for snapper
).

That is entirely exaggerated: On my machine I can work on
libstorage, snapper and yast2-core without having to change the
set of installed packages. Maybe that's different in the Ruby
world but for C/C++ some extra libraries in general do not hurt.

And also do not forget about interdependencies. New snapper
maybe need new libbtrfs library, so it also have to be updated.

By taking the latest image from the buildservice the library is
up to date. If not the build will also fail and submitting is not
an option.

And here you want a complete system where you can compile the
sources directly from your editor. So you need a VM/system.

No, ...

I do want that and I'm not alone with that view.

Regards,
Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxxx>