Re: [yast-devel] Adding snapper/libstorage to Jenkins
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:45:24 +0100
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05.11.2015 11:03, Josef Reidinger wrote:
git clone
hacking/writing unit test
rake osc:build

Huh?

Do you seriously think just 'git clone' will get you anywhere?
This wouldn't even work with helloworld.cc, let alone with something
nontrivial such as libstorage, libyui, libyui-qt, libyqui-qt-pkg and
whatnot.

You need to set up a development environment. You need a working
compiler with everything and roughly a dozen -devel packages for all
kinds of libs. You need quite a number of them in the correct
version. You need a number of them from some Devel:Something repo on
OBS or IBS. And I probably forgot a number of steps in this list.

No, it is not true. you can simple modify C code and then run osc:build
and it sets build environment for you including all required devel
libraries, compilers and others. So just try it, e.g. yast2-core or
yast2-ruby-bindings and you see it yourself.

Setting up such a development environment from scratch will take a
very efficient developer with the necessary know-how about half a
day. For somebody less experienced, I'd guess it's more like half a
week until everything is working.

osc do it for you in chroot with real used dependencies.

That scenario is just unrealistic. If we can get 'rake osc:build' on
top of everything else, that's fine with me. But this is NOT a
substitute (it doesn't even come close) to a working Autotools
environment (even CMake is inferior to that IMHO).

why not? rpm spec have to do it also.

We cannot and we don't want to dumb down the C++ development
environments that much. That would hit us hard in our everyday work.

"we" mean you? or is there some group that think that for any small
trivial change in any package you need halg day setup of your
environment. Even for trivial typo fix?
Of course if you do regularly such work, it make sense to have
specialized environment for development, but please do not force
everyone wanting to do any change in package to spend such time.

Josef

Kind regards