Re: [yast-devel] Adding snapper/libstorage to Jenkins
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:45:24 +0100
On 05.11.2015 11:03, Josef Reidinger wrote:
git clone
hacking/writing unit test
rake osc:build

Huh?

Do you seriously think just 'git clone' will get you anywhere?
This wouldn't even work with helloworld.cc, let alone with something nontrivial such as libstorage, libyui, libyui-qt, libyqui-qt-pkg and whatnot.

You need to set up a development environment. You need a working compiler with everything and roughly a dozen -devel packages for all kinds of libs. You need quite a number of them in the correct version. You need a number of them from some Devel:Something repo on OBS or IBS. And I probably forgot a number of steps in this list.

Setting up such a development environment from scratch will take a very efficient developer with the necessary know-how about half a day. For somebody less experienced, I'd guess it's more like half a week until everything is working.

That scenario is just unrealistic. If we can get 'rake osc:build' on top of everything else, that's fine with me. But this is NOT a substitute (it doesn't even come close) to a working Autotools environment (even CMake is inferior to that IMHO).

We cannot and we don't want to dumb down the C++ development environments that much. That would hit us hard in our everyday work.

Kind regards
--
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx>
YaST Developer

SUSE Linux GmbH
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany