Re: [yast-devel] Adding snapper/libstorage to Jenkins
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 10:40:29 +0100
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 10:03:55AM +0100, Lukas Ocilka wrote:

This is also the reason why I simply decided to use Yast build
tools: We already maintain them anyway, they work even for non-Ruby
projects (core), we have the infrastructure in place.

Yes, I agree, that adding Ruby/Rake into snapper just because of
these things is not a good reason, we just need to make libyui-rake
a bit more generic (+ rename), prepare snapper for that tool and
then convert.

Please remember that snapper is used by several other
distributions and compiled by individual people from
source. Forcing them to use some special tools is not what I
recommend.

Why not use osc for building it for several distributions?
rake is used mainly for tarball creation and running osc, so just
document that for manual creation of tarball you should run
package output of `git ls-files . | grep -v \\.gitignore`

You speak about special tools, but other distros also use approach of
metadata + tarball, so you think they are happy that they need to
create simple f***ing tarball bunch of development libraries?
If you distribute for them tarball, they do not need using rake at all.
Also it can be configured to not add Rakefile at all to archive, if you
distribute it.
And last but not least, gems and ruby is available on all
distributions, can be simple installed and is well documented, so I do
not see it as special obstacle. BTW there are projects that use cmake,
scons, qmake and others, and to be honest I found ruby better scripting
language then m4, cmake or qmake language.

Josef

Regards,
Arvin