Re: [yast-devel] new translation server and YaST
On 13.10.2015 18:05, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Currently translation packages are inserted into the inst-sys on
demand.

If you make subpackages, e.g. yast2-installation-trans-cz, we
would end up with 1000 translation packages.

Currently it would be yast2-installation-lang with all translations in one.

As the Installer still contains a lot of Yast packages, the inst-sys
would be quite big, but there is a simple solution: We can extend the
inst-sys by the selected language only on-the-fly and unload any other
extension which is not needed anymore. We already do it with some other
packages (e.g., cracklib).

From the packaging side, now we have a good and well working tools
for creating of translation bundles.

Please explain what a translation bundle is.

The tools work in this way:

foo.spec defines sub-package foo-lang (all languages inside, with
special RPM tags identifying language specific files).

Tools in OBS collect all lang files from defined subset of packages
(currently gnome, kde, common), joins them and re-splits it by language.

It means that enduser will install say bundle-lang-gnome-de and not
gnome-calculator-lang.

And can we specify our own bundle? Such as bundle-lang-installer-es?

But it is still possible to install new version of gnome-calculator with
new translations gnome-calculator-lang. These translations will take
precedence. (This is a SUSE glibc specific feature.)

That's nice, because I'd like to have a self-healing functionality for
the installer: Downloading and applying current updates for the
installer before it's "really started".

Thanks
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux