Re: [yast-devel] Services UI strikes back
Hello,

Am Dienstag, 28. April 2015 schrieb Ancor Gonzalez Sosa:
Last week we implemented a prototype of a reusable component to manage
services in YaST modules and applied it to yast-dns-server.

So I updated the infamous "YaST service management" document[1] to
show the two alternatives of usage of the new component. Feedback
(from UI expert or anybody else) is appreciated so we can decide
which option (labeled "A" and "B") in the document is better in
general.

Option A is confusing because the (IMHO related) "start now" and "start
on boot" options are in separate tabs. Also, the firewall settings apply
for both, so having them only in the Start-Up tab adds more confusion.

Therefore I clearly prefer option B because it has all related options
around startup in one place.

A little detail:

I don't know much about bind, but I'm slightly surprised about the
"[ ] LDAP Support Active" option - why is this option on the same tab as
the start now/on boot settings?

I'd guess "LDAP Support Active" is a config option for bind, and
therefore should be on another tab (maybe "Basic Options"?)

To sum it up - I'd take option B with the "LDAP Support Active" option
moved to another tab. And I'd propose to use _exactly_ that screen for
all services.

If you think option B has too much on one page, move the firewall
settings to a separate "Firewall" tab. That's still better than option A
;-) (and if a service needs multiple independent ports (for example, 80
and 443 for Apache), you even have some room for more checkboxes)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Meine Rechner sind seit einem Jahr ein Naturschutzgebiet
für Pinguine. ;)) [Michael Raab in suse-linux]