[yast-devel] Contributing to Yast; was: yast2-auth-server fails to build with GCC 5 (fwd)
On 27.4.2015 11:23, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:45:21 +0200 (CEST)
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Josef Reidinger wrote:

Hi,
I think you did it right to write ckornacker and varkoly, they are
maintainers of yast2-auth-server. YaST team itself do not handle it,
just do mass changes affecting all modules.

The issue is still not fixed in Factory and blocks GCC 5 adoption.
The YaST development model doesn't seem sustainable if such fixes
can't be applied within two weeks.

It has nothing do to with yast developement model, just with specific
part of yast that is not maintained by Yast Team.

I just found that ckornacker no longer work for SUSE. So I add to CC
also Mili and if you really need to do something I recommend to
escalate it to him or visit him personally. So Peter looks only one who
maintain these new modules now. In urgent case I can also merge your
fix, but I do not want to act behind maintainers back.

Thanks for taking care, Josef.

Anyway, during the SLE offsite, I've got a feedback, that "it's hard to
contribute to Yast, because people would need to not only learn Ruby,
C++, Perl or even YCP, but also how to work with Git and GitHub". Some
people would prefer to send us patches via e-mail or put them into
Bugzilla (or on floppy). Just consider the fact that what seems to be
easy for us, might be a "big challenge" for others.

I think that this is a valid point. The only problem I see is that we
might not like the patch enough and we might want to refactor it. Then
I'd propose to use the patch as-is and do the refactoring later in the
same PR. Or we could send the patch back with comments, depends. The
question is - Do we want it?

Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux